Thursday, August 28, 2008

So you want to play the CVS game....



So some people have been asking for lessons on shopping at CVS, since I am a teacher, I figure I might as well put my skills to use.


The lessons are going to go real slow, since its my first week back to school and I'm super busy.
Tip #1 Gather a lot of coupons!!
I used to clip coupons each Sunday and then throw the insert away. To do well at CVS, you will need to KEEP your coupon inserts. You never know which coupons you will need each week, sometimes you might need a coupon that is a couple of months old. When I post a deal, I will tell you which insert it came from. A great way to keep your inserts organized is by DATING them. Immediately when you get your coupon inserts on Sunday, write the date on them on the front in marker. I keep mine in a magazine rack. I am still using coupons from inserts that came out in late May!! SO KEEP YOUR COUPON INSERTS UNTIL ALL COUPONS ARE EXPIRED.
Tip #2 Get more than one set of coupons each week!!
One way that I get a lot of coupons, is by subscribing to two papers. By doing this, each week I get a minimum of 2 copies of each insert. I pay around $40 a year for my two subscriptions by bargaining with the companies, threatening to cancel, etc. I receive the Sun daily and the LA Times just on Sunday. When I read my Sunday paper, I make sure that it is COMPLETE. If one of my papers is not complete, I call and ask for another one to be delivered to my house. For example, sometimes a coupon insert is missing, or sometimes the Target ad is missing. If something is missing, you can call your newspaper and request another copy which results in getting more sets of coupons.
Tip #3 More ways to get coupons!
Ask your friends, neighbors, coworkers, etc. for their coupons if they are not going to use them. I exchange coupon inserts with my grandma. My mom, dad and mother in law give me their coupons. A couple of people at work sometimes remember to give me their coupons. When you have a huge stockpile of something that you are not going to use, then make give away bags for the people who make your couponing possible, the people who give you coupons. This will help them "remember" to give you their coupons.
Ok, thats it for the first lesson. There will be another one tomorrow, and I'll post scenarios for you to use at CVS when the new ad comes out on Sunday.

No comments: